1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Adrenal Fatigue

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Jun 30, 2017.

1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi,

Last week I did a saliva cortisol test. The kind you do at home where you spit in a tube upon rising, noon, 5 PM, and bedtime. My results were all within range but the first three could definitely be higher and the one at bedtime could be lower. It was suggested (by a Facebook group - not a doctor) that I start supplementing with adrenal cortex extract during the day (to raise cortisol) and seriphos and holy basil at night (to lower cortisol) to help me sleep.

I have been on adrenal cortex extract before and it definitely helps. In addition to back pain, I do struggle with feeling fatigued most of the day and frequent waking during the night. I have lost my zest so to speak. I get things done but it's all an effort.

July 25 I am seeing Dr. Schubiner and I just recently (last 2 weeks) started reading about TMS. I am starting the structured educational program and I also ordered Dr. Schubiner's book Unlearn Your Pain. What I am trying to decide now is whether I should start these supplements or not. I know they help with energy, mood, and even pain and I am wondering if it would be worth it to get the relief, while working on addressing TMS, and then weaning off of them. Or would it be best to just start addressing TMS and not even go on the supplements?

I know I have to make the decision but would love people's opinion and maybe experience using supplements during recovery.

Thank you,
    Kristina

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Anybody have an oppinion about this?