1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Acid Reflux (GERD), RSI, neck and shoulder tension, and more...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Deepster, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Deepster

Deepster Peer Supporter

This is my Day 1 post about "the level of acceptance I have of the TMS diagnosis, and any doubts or worries I have at this point".

As a bit of background, my list of symptoms includes
    • Acid Reflux (GERD) - 10+ years
    • Constipation - 10+ years
    • Extreme neck and shoulder tension (my left shoulder is visibly raised) - 5-10 years
    • Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) affecting typing and other activities - 10 years
    • Knee pain - 2 years
    • Neck/shoulder/back pain from reading printed material - 1-2 years
    • Low grade background anxiety that occasionally intensifies - 10+ years
    • Strain in my vocal chords from singing - 10+ years
    A large part of me believes that all or most of my symptoms stem from TMS or its equivalents. I'm a perfectionist and a high achiever. I'm competitive and highly self-critical. After going through Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program, I've come to realize how preoccupied and fearful I can get around my symptoms. I've also uncovered a huge number of destructive thoughts. Finally, I've come to realize that while I used to think I had healthy self-esteem, it is actually conditional on my accomplishments. I have a real need to be and look good. In addition to these personality traits and though patterns, I've discovered through journaling that I have unexpressed anger and grief from earlier in my life.

Doubts
    • Maybe the tension in my body won't go away after addressing my unconscious emotions.
    • My there IS something wrong with my knee... (But then why did it get a lot better after finding out about TMS?)
    • Maybe my RSI is more complicated that TMS.
    • Can this really help my acid reflux?
    Worry: What if I do this program and I'm still not better?

Stella likes this.
  2. Paxalot

Paxalot New Member

Hey Deepster,

I'm no expert cuz I'm only on day four but I also have GERD and functional dyspepsia in my arsenal of woes. I'm also discovering a lot of connections between my past and my symptoms. I figure this is a no lose situation. Either we get better or we don't but either way we profit from understanding. I'm already discovering an uncomfortable amount of 'dirt' about myself (e.g. Emulating my father's worst behavior) but like so many others this is all I have left. Doctors either cannot or will not help me and the vast amount of time and money poured into my condition has been fruitless. Really, what is left but TMS?

3. Edward

Edward Peer Supporter

Hey I have also had RSI for nearly ten years and it wasn't until I started doing this program that I felt relief from the pain. I am slowly discovering and tending to the thoughts and emotions which contribute to my symptoms.

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

If you look at "my story" you will see i have had numerous numerous numerous symptoms over the years. My acid reflux is gone now. It will raise its ugly head when i get stressed but i push it out of my gut with a big belch....excuse me. All my numerous symptoms are caused by TMS. You will find many if not all your symptoms are TMS.

Whenever I have a physical symptom which is daily I know I have to look at my drive to be perfect, drive to never disappoint others, my fear of failing and the anger I never feel that is immediately turned into pain or depression.

5. Deepster

Deepster Peer Supporter

Thank you all for your replies to my post. It's wonderful to get support at the beginning of my journey!