1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Acceptance and stressors

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

you know how our repressed emotions can cause pain right
    but you also know our current stressors keep the pain boiling too right
    so in the back of your mind you think its arthritus or what ever the cause may be thats causing pain .
    but you keep on getting up and doing your chores and moving and thats critical
    but what if you really accepted that it was the current stessors now
    thats keeping the you in pain ,i know it seems to be impossible to rid ourselves
    of all of our current worries,but what if we were to look at them like small blessings in disguise
    like the traffic stressor that led you to see you just made it thru a car wreck-now isnt this a way to change your acceptance to
    im gonna be happy that this has happened because god has showed me that he has his angels
    watching over me-or if you have another higher power
    see after i got the repressed memories all out-i still had slight back pain
    i would write in my journals about being around 90% but i just couldnt figure
    what it was that was keeping me held back and since sarno had said that basicly nothing
    in the back other than cancer was going to be causing me pain i just knew that i had to be missing something
    it was the current stressors and how i was reacting to them- and i thought how am i going to not worry about current events and
    situations as they arise-then i learnt about mindfullness and awareness-and i would catch myself starting to worry about
    something that i thought about/ Then i would look at it in another way like instead of looking at the problem, look at the solution and so forth
    and accepting that its going to be ok and i dont have to worry-be concerned yes-but this worry-this dread that ive done a lot in
    life no,
    then when things really got tense like my dog roxie got her bellie ripped open by my sisters dogs and i had to look at her eyes and sadness in those eyes-it almost took control of me-i almost had a full pain attack-
    i could feel it building and i said ,NO- Roxies going to be ok and i forced myself to think in the now and accept that she was going to be fine and i didnt have to hurt in order to be concerned-it was one of the hardest lessons ive ever learned but at that time of doubt and despair i learnt the final key in my suffering thru roxies suffering-
    her eyes said its ok herbie dont worrie-its ok-and i felt like i had let her doun -i felt like i wasnt there for her
    and i caught myself looking at someone much stronger than me-
    i thought why cant i have her courage-and i heard a voice that said (YOU CAN)
    so i decided right then and there that i had to stop the negative thinking-it was about to take its toll -
    and i decided to think its going to be ok for roxie-this might look like shes not going to live-but shes going to live
    thats me telling me those bad thoughts-i cant do that to myself no more-
    roxie taught me an invalueable lesson that day-what i thought was impossible-is possible
    i can decide on what im going to focus on and redirect my thoughts as i please...
    .....see i still get mad.....i still have negative things happen to me......i still have those same concerns(worries)
    but its how i (accept) them now-how i decide to (accept) them -that makes the difference
    see if you knew a plate of food was going to make you sick if you ate it -then would you eat it-
    its the same with our thoughts -when we think about a bad thought then we need to know right then and there thats its going to make us hurt or sick and change how were going to react to that thought thru (accepting) that i can do this-its as easy as i want it to be.....
    now this does take practice but i know you get the concept

now this is not all the steps but it is another view of acceptance....(thanks Walt for telling me about annie and also your friendship -this post is dedicated to you two-)

Forest, Jilly, MorComm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I am learning so much from you and Roxie ... it's so funny but I look at my long time cat (12 yrs old) and he has taught me so much. There is such sweetness in our pets, such love. They don't hold a grudge and they are there for us, ready to play or cuddle. They don't worry and stress. I almost think they were created for us to enjoy and to specifically remind us how to be pure in our hearts, just like they are. Thanks Eric :)

eric watson likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

There is a common feeling that people need to change their personality in order to recover from TMS. We read Sarno's books and learn that our perfectionsit and goodist personality are one of the reasons we have symptoms, so it seems logical that we must change these traits. But as you mention, this is not the case. We can still get mad or frustrated and have negative things happen to us. The change we need to make is in how to react to these situations, and how we handle them.

So much of why we have TMS is because we are uncomfortable with anger and other emotions that we have. When our emotions begin to build up, we push them down for some reason and ignore how we actually feel. As you mentioned, Eric, this is just like eating bad food that you know is going to make you sick. One of the biggest keys to recovering from TMS is to accept these situations and learn to react to them in a different way. Another way to look at it, is that we need to accept feeling uncomfortable with our emotions for a brief time.

Once you start to allow your emotions, there is a chance you will find it to be uncomfortable. The feeling on discomfort is your mind's way to get you to repress your emotions and think physical. If you can simply allow the uncomfortable feeling to be with you, then you will begin to break the pattern of repression. This could feel overwhelming at first, but it will only be temoporary. In time though, you will be able to change how you react to these situations in a healthier manner.

veronica73 and Jilly like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

forest...(quote)-...Once you start to allow your emotions, there is a chance you will find it to be uncomfortable. The feeling on discomfort is your mind's way to get you to repress your emotions and think physical. If you can simply allow the uncomfortable feeling to be with you, then you will begin to break the pattern of repression. This could feel overwhelming at first, but it will only be temoporary. In time though, you will be able to change how you react to these situations in a healthier manner.

this is a great way to accomplish our repression problems-i fully agree
    i started this faceing and floating style with acceptance and time a few months back....
    its not great at first but now i wouldnt take anything for this concept -its a powerful Tool
    ...thanks forest

Jilly likes this.