1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Accept the fear or use affirmations? ...so confusing

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Renate, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

hi everyone,

the last months I used affirmations like: "there is nothing wrong with my foot, I am safe, there is nothing to fear etc. "
    Then I listened to the audios of Claire Weekes: her advice to deal with pain is to accept completely the fear of pain and all emotions that come up.

For me these two methods are contradictory. What are your experiences?

Ines likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the difference is in whether you are addressing thoughts or emotions. Your thoughts about the pain ("there is something terribly wrong with my body") are inaccurate if you have TMS, and can be corrected by repeating an affirmation like the example you give above. The emotions about the pain (fear, anger, grief) should be accepted and felt. This allows them to move through you, as opposed to suppressing or repressing emotions, which can result in them expressing themselves through the body in tension and pain.

Mad, Ines and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Thank you Ellen, this is a good explanation! Till now I told myself "there is nothing to fear" and I tried not to feel the fear, but nevertheless I am often afraid of the pain. So maybe this is why the Affirmation does not help bery much.....

Ines likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Renate, now all you have to do is go out there and start using that foot, that there is nothing wrong with! There have been recent posts here by people who could not walk, were on crutches or in wheel-chairs who are now running 10K's. As I recall, in your last post here, you were making TMS progress, how's that going?

Just Do It!

5. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Hi Tom, as I wrote in one of my posts, I do everything possible (mentally) to live my normal live. I made some progress....I can walk once a day for 30 minutes, sit a little longer and still spend many hours lying at home. I also had some sessions with TMS Therapists and I have read most of the TMS books.
    But I still wonder why it takes so much time to get better! I think everyone would be impatient after having spent 5years an 9months at home!

6. Ines

Ines Well known member

That was a really good question. Thanks!