1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Abraham Low- Muscle Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric)- I remember hearing from a giant in the psychology world that our body's can control our thinking just as our thinking can control our body's and when I read this excerpt from William James book- it really made me take notice to the power of command we can put on our muscles and how this can help us recondition to pain, anxiety- etc... by gaining back control over our lifes balance.

"MUSCLE CONTROL"         
    Many of us have fears that limit daily actions. Some of us are afraid to go shopping. Some may be afraid to apply for a new job or talk to the boss. There are people afraid to drive a car. We can overcome fears by commanding our muscles. Maria, for example, had a fear of crowds.  Because of this, she avoided crowds and her fear intensified. Using the Recovery tool, she overcame her fear to some extent and functioned in spite of her fear.  
    MARIA’S COMMENT:  I commanded my muscles to walk into a crowd at the mall.  I learned from the experience that the action I took did not harm me.  I did not die.  I didn’t collapse.  I realized there was no danger. However, I did feel symptoms. I went back to the mall another day and walked.  I did not want to walk but commanded my muscles to walk at the mall.  Eventually, my fear decreased.
    The action Maria took was muscular in nature. Moving her muscles was also an act of will.  A person can also command muscles not to move at all or to move slowly. When she commanded her muscles to do something Maria learned from the experience. 
    Abraham Low expressed the idea that the accomplishments and experiences our muscles produce re-educate the brain. Our muscular action teaches that we are able to accomplish many tasks we are afraid to try. Our muscle action-which requires will-becomes our teacher.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Abraham Low gives good advice. He says to tell our muscles to walk or exercise and we get where we never
    thought we could go or do. Louise Hay and Claire Weeks give the same advice and it works, but they say
    tell our MIND we can go or do those "impossible" things.

It's all part of the same thing we need to tell ourselves, through our muscles or minds,
    to JUST DO IT. It isn't going to hurt us and definitely won't kill us.

Yes, Herbie, you're right that it's will power, too.

When we fear doing anything, just tell ourselves, "I can do this. It's a piece of cake."

Maybe "piece" could also be spelled "peace," to bring God into the equation.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.