1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A Revelation (Day 1)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Justina, May 2, 2012.

1. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

I'm almost certainly convinced I have TMS. I only stumbled upon it today, but I already have Dr Serno's Mindbody Perscription reserved at the library and I'm really committed to this educational program.

I was diagnosed with RSI in my right wrist 18 months ago as I was in the process of dropping out of my PhD. Since then I've developed pain in my other wrist, both knees, thoracic spine and numbness/tingling in my hands. I've seen doctors, physiotherapists, neurologists, massage therapists, naturopaths and even emergency room nurses when the pain got really bad. No one could find anything wrong in all their tests.

I've gotten to the stage where my life is so limited by the pain I don't see much point in keeping going. I'm currently seeing a psychologist and hopefully between her and learning more about TMS I can get better.

I'm scared that I don't have the strength. I'm so tired of being in pain. But I can change my habits; last year I lost 20kg in an, ultimately futile, attempt to regain control of my life. I hope I can be that strong again.

Thank you for reading this. It means a lot to know that there's others out there with the same problems.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Justina!
    You do! You're here and you're willing to work on TMS. As hard as it was and still is for me to look at the emotional causes of the pain, it is still easier than actually being in pain, so for me it has been not so much about being stronger as being willing to consider new ideas (pain is from psychological causes rather than something structural) and then do the inner work.
    ~ Veronica

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Justina and Welcome to the Wiki

I see a lot of myself in your post. I had severe RSI pain for years and came across TMS/PPD while working on my PhD as well. Academia can be rewarding, but there is also a lot of stress and pressure invovled with it. I had chronic pain for 18+ years and it controlled my life. If I was able to recover then you can as well. For more check out my story on my profile and my Video Success Story. The best part of this approach is the simplicity of it. It invovles educating yourself about the process, investigating your emotions and accepting the diagnosis. As Veronica said, You do have the power and ability to fully recover. The reason you have doubts is because of past treatment failures. But all of the other treatments looked at this as a physical problem and only tried to treat the symptom. TMS/PPD treats the true cause of your symptoms, and therefore is different from all of th treatments....mainly because this one works.

Best,

Forest

veronica73 likes this.
  4. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Hi Justina,

I am new here also, but you are in the right place. Try to remain optimistic. There are a lot of people who have gotten out of pain by using the TMS concepts. I hope to be one of them someday, but as of this moment, I am so tired of being in pain, too.

Good luck to you!
    Valerie

5. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Justina:

Welcome to the wiki and forum. I see you are doing the Structured Program. I think it will benefit you a great deal. The program deals a lot with our past and present emotions, but delving into that can be a very good thing for you.

No fear! This does appear to be the place you are supposed to be. And you'll find there is great support here for whatever your issue is. Good luck and know you have many people in the balcony who are cheering for you!

BG

6. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

Thanks everyone for your response. :)

Veronica, that's a great way to look at the TMS problem. Forest, you're right, our stories are very similar. I think that, especially for very academically driven people, 'discovering' TMS on your own makes you more likely to believe it than being told about it. My neurologist gave me an "it's all in your head" diagnosis and I promptly told him to go jump. But I believe TMS.

Thanks Valerie! I know exactly how you feel. We can both work our way out of this pain.

Thanks BG! It means a lot to know there's support here.