1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 A Return to Normalcy

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Stannis, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Stannis

Stannis New Member

Hello board.

My experience with chronic upper-back and neck tension date back three years. It came on suddenly and furiously, with two sleepless nights and a lot of frustration. I suppose I connected the pain to a whiplash injury I sustained playing basketball a year prior, compounded by years of poor posture and imbalanced musculature.

My pain was never so bad that I went to see a doctor, but I love self-experimentation, and thus adopted a paleo diet, began a serious lifting regime (starting strength), and even began doing yoga. While I believe that all of these things have increased the quality of life (and I still do them to this day), and effectively reduced my upper-back tension, I still had neck pain and it didn't seem to be going away.

Finally, about a month ago, I stumbled across Dr. Sarno's The Divided Mind and devoured it over a weekend. Like many of you, I saw my road to recovery clarify before me, and I drank the kool-aid without the least hesitation. In three years of self-experimentation, I had covered every physical angle I could imagine, but I realized that I grossly underestimated the psychological dimension in my rehabilitation.

I'm relatively young, 28, open-minded and not at all fearful of physical activity. In the month since reading the book, I am now currently pain-free for seven days, but my symptoms have shifted to slight anxiety and some gentle (non-visible) internal tremor. This is the first time I have experienced anxiety in my life, though I am not fearful. I am aware that this is simply the Symptom Imperative at work, and that I am indeed on the road to TMS recovery.

I am fortunate in that I have suffered no major traumas in my life. I believe my TMS to be a result of a combination of suppressed and repressed emotions, stemming from a natural tendency to placate and put others' emotions before my own. In truth, I consider myself to be an extreme empath, but I very rarely express my own feelings.

I am excited to go through this process with you all.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Stannis,
    It is a pleasure to have you join us. Congratulations on being pain free! I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future..