1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A Reply by Steve Ozanich-Gem

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

We repress both thoughts and emotions, although not all thoughts evoke an emotion.
    Repression is just that--it represses. But I think it's more important that you understand that when you say "Although I had the thoughts I am not sure if I actually fully felt the anger, " that you realize that TMS exists because you never felt the anger.

If you felt the anger you wouldn't experience the symptom. It's vital to understand that even with things as beautiful as a baby, that part of you does not want it. That's the divided mind in conflict, the shadow aspect--the undeveloped self, that does not want any responsibility.

This is the core of TMS, hiding the aspect of yourself that you cannot allow others to see, the superego and id in combat.
    It's because you were taught to not show negative emotions that you have TMS. Your body is expressing what you want to say, but never learned how.

Then you have what's called corrupted memory. You see life each day through a prism that's "wrong"...or a skewed filter. That means that every day, all day, you keep automatically compartmentalizing events into the bad category.

We give more weight to negative forces than positive because of archaic survival mechanisms.

1) So try to see the good in the day, and

2) reverse the old memory screens.

3) TMS is a survival mechanism. It helps us cope through the day when we have inner turmoil.

4) Your unconscious doesn't understand time. It sees the hurts in you as a little girl as occurring now. You just learn to live around them, and use them as either motivation, or excuses.

5) Emotional pain is a motivator, and it stems from inner conflict. Repression is lying to yourself that something didn't hurt you, or you were weren't afraid, when you truly were.