1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A movie suggestion that reminded me of the TMS sojourn

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by quasar731, May 28, 2012.

1. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Greetings everyone,

This evening my hubby and I went to watch a wonderful movie called The Way. The Way is an American drama film. Maybe some of you saw it already, especially those of you in the US. For those who have not seen it yet, I highly recommended it.

After the tragic death of his son (in the movie Emilio Estevez), Martin Sheen embarks himself 'unexpectedly' in the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. The Camino de Santiago is a famous, very ancient and traditional pilgrimage throughout France and Spain. It gifts the sojourners (many of them are strangers from different nations) with 800 kms of magnificent views (the photography is breathtaking). Indeed it is a life time experience. On the way Martin meets a woman from Canada, and two other men from Ireland and Holland. The four characters in the movie walk different experiences and have different aims throughout the pilgrimage. The tensions and the communal harmony develops as the pilgrims reveal in honesty their own struggles and grief. Despite their obvious differences, physically and psychologically, they walk in a parallel fashion and all strive for a shift of paradigms in their lives. Finally being strangers, they experience change together in community.

I could not think but of the common theme of pilgrimage, the TMS sojourn that all of us in this website are experiencing. Despite the fact that we are strangers, from many places on earth, we walk a similar experience and the healing happens in community. How wonderful this is!

danielle and veronica73 like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Quasar,

I haven't seen the Way yet, but I have heard of it and it looks pretty interesting. I think one of the ideas behind this community was to have a TMs sojourn that you mentioned. There is tremendous power in our stories and experiences, and when we share them we can help others recover as well. There is a real Adversity to Advocacy role in this community, where we turn the adversity of chronic pain into advocacy to help other people recover.

Thanks so much for bringing this film to our attention. It sounds like a terrific case study of how individuals can help other individuals.

3. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Thank you Forest,​
    It is a terrific movie. Real food for thought in so many philosophical and existential ways. My husband and I dropped a tear or two during the movie, it is incredibly touching. I think it brings the best of humanity in the struggle for overcoming difficulties and suffering while walking as strangers and yet united under an environmental, social and spiritual theme. Compassion, empathy and kindness toward others are enhanced when we experience the full flavours of life.:)

Beach-Girl likes this.