1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A little help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by C64, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. C64

C64 New Member

Hi all,

In recent months i have lost around 30 pounds from healthy eating and nice relaxing daily walks. It was the end of the week, i thought why not treat myself to a nice relaxation massage. My legs have been a bit sore from a lot of walking. Yep nothing wrong physically or TMS etc, just a nice relaxing massage. Unfortunately the massage therapist hurt me, leaving a big bruise on my lower back. That was 5 days ago and all my terrible back, hip and neck TMS pain is back with a vengeance. I tried walking yesterday and i am almost crippled now. I just had a check up with the Dr, found the bruise and stated it's ok, Dr went down non TMS path, your pain is due to joint issues in your back and maybe disc etc, take meds, rest and scan. Sorry but i don't accept that approach. Dr tested me bending and freaked out how i have limited movement and that my back muscles are not engaging. This is troubling, actual physical issue but i assume the muscle have locked up due to the TMS process rather than joint disc problems?
    Therefore even though i can barely stand, bend, walk and put my own clothes, i must follow the TMS treatment methods? Or i do have a very good massage therapist (havent seen in years) which would straighten me out, but i would need to tell my brain its still TMS etc?

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi c64,

Glad you were able to find TMS and this site! Yes it sounds like these issues are TMS. It definitely sounds like you had a bad experience with a massage therapist but there's no way they could cause structural damage to your back. Muscle spasms, loss of range of motion and muscles locking up are very common TMS symptoms. It sounds like your back muscles are in spasm, this can take a couple weeks to work itself out. We in the TMS medical community know that disc issues do not cause chronic pain in the vast majority of cases. Tell yourself it's TMS, do things that are relaxing to you, follow the TMS methods like the SEP, read and educate yourself. Let me know if you have questions I can help with.