1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A couple more questions...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LadyA, Sep 29, 2020.

1. LadyA

LadyA New Member

I was also wondering two other things...

A) Did going on an anti-depressant like Prozac help with your pain?
    B) What age were you when you started having TMS symptoms?

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I could not handle Prozac, I lost sleep completely. I never tried antidepressants again.
    My first TMS symptoms appeared when I was in my late teens.

LadyA likes this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I have been on Prozac for anxiety since 1991 (on and off). It does not help with pain but it does help with anxiety and calming down the brain so that you can think more clearly and rationally. It helps me with mood and sleep and obsessive thinking as well. I have never had any side effects at all. I know everyone is different but it has been around the longest and well studied in the SSRI category. For me Prozac was a godsend and probably made my 20's decade a good one tbh.

I think I always had weird medical things even as a kid but the most noticeable one was IC right after I got married and moved across the country at age 32.

LadyA likes this.
  4. LadyA

LadyA New Member

Thank you so much for the answers!

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @LadyA.

Many moons ago, I was prescribed Prozac for pain associated with my then periods (I'm 12 years post-menopause now). I didn't get on with it at all well - I couldn't think straight, I couldn't talk clearly either and I felt absolutely exhausted on it too...I was like a zombie. My doctor said that I should persist with it as those side effects would eventually wear off. I couldn't, however, bear to persist with it plus, at that time, I had a job to hold down which required clear and precise thinking, to include explaining complicated things to others. Prozac didn't help with my period pain nor did it help with the other muscle aches and pains, to include back pain around my right sacro-iliac joint, that I was experiencing at that time (which were all quite mild compared to the pain that I experienced later on in my life, to include now).

Looking back, I now realise that my first TMS symptom (sacro-iliac pain) occurred when I was 21 years old, but I didn't know it was TMS at the time, of course.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    LadyA likes this.
  6. LadyA

LadyA New Member

Have you been able to ease that pain now that you're aware it's TMS? Have you found relief?

7. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm still working on it. I've had glimpses of pain relief as I continue to apply TMS techniques, which gives me hope and tells me that I'm the right track. I have though experienced a considerable improvement in the level of fatigue that I experience -- on top of being diagnosed as having 'fibromyalgia' I was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue/ME, which was so overwhelming that it made me bed ridden. (The acute episode of exhaustion I felt on Prozac was long before I experienced and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue/ME.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020