1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A conversation with my doctor

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Mar 13, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here as much lately. I hope everyone has been doing well. My job got CRAZY just as I felt like I was turning a corner with TMS. One day I got--and responded to--over 100 emails about a specific project at work. I started to have some pain again but not as bad as I have even on regular days before I knew about TMS. Still, I was kind of concerned that I was "doing something wrong" in my TMS journey. Also, this is a project I will be working on for two months and I'm just at the beginning of it.

I spoke with my TMS doctor yesterday and he was very reassuring. I thought I would share a bit about our conversation here because I think it could help a lot of us. I mentioned that I'd been working on the program for about 2 months and was still not 100% better. I think I was wondering at some level why I wasn't one of the people who read Sarno's books and was cured right away. My doctor said most of the people with TMS he sees take a while to get better. I told him in about 2 months of working with the TMS principles, I feel like I'm about 75%- 80% better and he thought that was actually great, and that it's probably part of my personality to want perfection! (of course it is ;) )

I've also had less headaches but new shoulder pain, which he thought sounded like TMS "on the run" and a good sign. He said it takes a while to get reprogrammed after learning about TMS.

All of this made me feel more at ease. The shoulder pain is not fun but I don't feel all that emotionally attached to it as I have to my headaches and foot pain in the past. I trust that it will be moving on soon.

Here's to a beautiful day for everyone.

:cool: Veronica

2. marjrc

marjrc New Member

Veronica, thank you for sharing what your doctor said. It is encouraging to be told that progress is going well and not to worry. I've come a long way too, though not near to where I'd like to be when it comes to my foot situation, but I forget about it for the most part and try to live life to the fullest. :)

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

That sounds pretty darn good to me too!

4. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Yeah, the whole cure from reading one book thing made me feel like a loser because I've been working steady at it for a month with little results. Nice to hear you got 80% in 2 months. Sounds miraculous to me!

5. veronica73

Jesse, I'm glad you said that because I feel like that sometimes too--like, oh am I some giant dope who's missing the point and not fully healed yet? or am I repressing some big horrible thing that's taking forever to go away? I think it's more likely that I'm an obsesser and a perfectionist--maybe more so than some other people with TMS, and so it's taking a little longer for me than I had expected.

6. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Amen. More and more I'm growing philosophical about it. The pain is there to get me to see something. So I recommit everday to learning the lesson and my eyes have been opened about a number of things. Today there is a lessening of pain so I may be making some progress

Enrique likes this.
  7. veronica73

That's great, Jesse! Hang in there.

8. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

That's a good sign Jesse.

9. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I too have been at this for about two months three months. I've hit on something rather huge that is going on in my head. Without going into details, I think I can work through my journal to work this out.

In the meantime - I don't think that reading the book and recovery are as common as working through the program and seeing recovery. Just something that was pointed out to me along the way.

BG

10. Avnita Suri

Avnita Suri Peer Supporter

Hi @Beach-Girl, how's going for you? Did you manage to sort out your pain now?