1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 29 Year old with 12 years of back pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jatmpsn, Oct 17, 2022.

1. jatmpsn

jatmpsn Newcomer

Ok, so today is the day that I begin my journey. As instructed, I'm creating my own thread to document my journey. I'm very confidant that I'll be able to finally address this.

I suffered from a slipped disc when I was 17 when I overcooked it skateboarding. I've been plagued by problems ever since and have had a number of operations which I think were avoidable. Despite trying to play it down to friends and family, my pain has really been of the defining features of my life since its first onset.

I'm very sure that my pain originates from TMS. It's constantly shifting to different positions in my back, and I am basically a carbon copy of the personality traits that John Sarno describes in his book. Furthermore, I think that my struggle with TMS is learnt behaviour from my mother, who suffers a great deal from TMS and has passed on this gift to all three of her children.

My level of acceptance of TMS as a diagnosis is high. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen an improvement after reading two of Sarno's books. That being said, I think that my problems are deeply ingrained within my way of thinking and within my body, as I had an onset of symptoms from such an early age. I've just finished a masters, so haven't really had time to focus on fully addressing the problem. However, I'm really happy to begin to work as hard as I can on this. Having just finished the Week 0 "TMS Recovery Program", I can see that I've been approaching things the wrong way in a lot of instances.

Wish me luck!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. ChrisWGill

ChrisWGill New Member

Best of luck! :)

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you're in the right place with the right mindset, @jatmpsn. Good luck!

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

PS
    For many of us, this explains lifelong anxiety and TMS even without childhood adversity. Lucky you, to discover this work at 29 - I was 60!

5. jatmpsn

jatmpsn Newcomer

Thanks guys!