1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 22 2 steps forward....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Earlson, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Earlson

Earlson New Member

It took 30 days but I passed the halfway mark. My committment to the the program has waned a bit. Not sure why. Partly because not much improvement in physical symptons. Partly because I am not so sure what to do with emotions etc. after wrting about them. I am using this journey as much to learn about myself as I am for physical healing. Maybe that is what is holding me back? Still focused on completing the program by the end of the month. Hopefully a breakthrough is near.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll be honest @Earlson, back in 2011 I stopped doing the SEP at about Day 14 or so. By then I had spent enough time on the forum, reading and interacting, that I was more interested in accessing other resources. A lot of these are listed after my Profile story: Claire Weekes (for anxiety); Dr. Gabor Mate (for an introduction to the physiological changes that long-term emotional stress and repression can create); the audio program "Meditations to Change Your Brain" which taught me about the way our primitive brains are wired - and that we can change that wiring. There are also a couple of links to now-old audio chats with Alan Gordon, which blew my mind. The links are still good, and were recommended by today's Chat host @Steve2.

As for journaling (or expressive/free writing, which I prefer, since I don't keep what I write) the key is to listen to how your brain wants to edit what you write down - and to not let it do so. If you can't be honest with yourself - well, your fearful brain will continue to repress old stuff and you won't progress as far as you could. Nicole Sachs, LCSW (in my list) is the go-to resource for journaling, although Dr. David Hanscom has a nice brief tutorial on Expressive Writing here: https://backincontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DOC-Expressive-Writing-4f-1.pdf

This struck me:
    I realize you probably said this off the top of your head without thinking about how it looks, but my reaction was swift! Thinking of these as separate processes unconsciously encourages your brain to continue to abuse your body with distracting symptoms. It's the mindbody, MBS or PPD, and you can't have self-healing without self-knowledge. Or without self-love, by the way :)

My two cents.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

PS - lots and lots of people experience brain resistance at this point - basically anytime from Day 8 onwards. Many experience increasing/worsening/changing symptoms, whereas others simply find no changes at all, like yourself. It's almost easier when symptoms get worse, because that's clear proof of the brain fighting back, whereas no change at (really zero changes at all at any time since discovering this work?) is a tough one. However, if you are a very level-headed and analytical individual who is generally in control, this may be the perfect response for you. Just a thought - another half cent worth, maybe.

4. Earlson

Earlson New Member

Hi Jan,
    Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas. Excellent advise and insights. Your right in that I am still seperating the mind and body. I will check out your suggested resources. Much appreciated.
    Bruce

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

I am working on the program, and l was encouraged to make a submission on what l find most helpful with this program. So here l go.
    I find journaling very helpful. I enjoy writing to and about people who were and are significant in my life. I get the opportunity to “spill my guts”; something that l never did when l was actually associating with these significant people in my life. From my wife to my best friends, talking to these people and expressing my true feelings about our relationships has been very cathartic for me and allows me to delve into my past in a way that l have never done. I will continue to write these journal entries and hopefully l will receive comments on them that will help me progress towards a truer understanding of myself and the important people in my life now and in the past. Thanks for your time.
    Mrpine

JanAtheCPA likes this.