1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

1 step forward 2 steps back

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Simplicity, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I woke up early this morning with severe vertigo (felt like BPPV). ... and then was hit with uncontrollable shaking all over my body / very blurry vision. I feel completely defeated right now and I haven't managed to lie down again yet. I don't feel dizzy when standing or sitting. I've had this for the last 14 years and I'm so tired of it.

I dealt with dizziness during the fall when I started working on my TMS issues and now it has returned. This is the worst one of my symptoms, the one I fear the most. I'm trying hard not to be overcome by fear right now and I will eventually try to lie down again. I had made such progress and felt positive, yet I've been very stressed lately with trying to deal with my life and my TMS. - The last five months has been extremely hard for me and now to have to deal with this again... it's not easy.

I don't even know if I have a question or what I want to say with this really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Simplicity. I have had occasional dizzy spells and believe they were caused by emotional stresses I was under at the time. Vertigo is a common symptom our subconscious gives us so we work on discovering our repressed emotions. Besides working in the SEProgram, you might try an over the counter medication my doctor prescribed for me when I had a bad dizzy spell. It is called Travel Sickness, from a company called Rugby. It's at your local drug store or online from amazon.com and contains meclizine. It's not habit forming, is cheap, and helps me whenever I need and take it. It also helps to just sit and do some deep breathing and say a positive mantra. If you can sit at a computer, watch a Youtube video on relaxation. My two favorites are
    "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking" with the soothing voice of Michael Sealey and
    "Guided Meditation: A Gift from Your Guardian Spirit."
    They will relax you and you may even go to sleep.

Simplicity likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Simplicity,
    I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms which you've dealt with so long. I get that you are very tired of them. I wish you the best in accessing your inner support and courage to get through this rough time.
    Andy B.

Simplicity likes this.
  4. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

@Walt Oleksy Thank you for the advice, Walt.

@Andy B Thank you so much for your support, Andy.

It's difficult to deal with since I had improved so much, it feels like a major setback. I do know that this can happen when healing from TMS, so I'm doing my best to overcome it and not be afraid. I feel that I'm better at taking a step back from my emotions/the fear this time. I have not managed to make it go away yet though, but I'm going to keep trying.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I posted this in the dizziness thread, might as well post it here too. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

It has been gone for a few days now. These last two weeks has been horrible to say the least, but I know now that I can handle a setback, even one like this and move on from it. I do feel exhausted now, though. I have slept poorly and it shows. I guess all I can do is take it easy, but keep moving. That's the plan anyway.

I have a much clearer understanding about the tension in my neck/jaw because it became much worse when I got stressed over the situation, it has now decreased somewhat and I keep working on it. I'm having the same feeling that I had with my anxiety and panic attacks - moments of 'glimpsing' that I don't have to live like this, I don't have to walk around with this tension, I can be freed from it. I feel that now much deeper than before.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Good report, Simplicity. To make a connection between the symptoms and your emotional and stress states is powerful medicine. Remember too that Dr. Sarno said that simply being aware of the connection, and seeing the real cause of symptoms can undo them. You don't always have to change the inner relationships. Just see them more clearly and attribute the symptoms to the correct cause, rather than physical.

And, on another level, seeing the tension in your life with more clarity, you are motivated to change... And you know the possibilities. This is a wonderful piece in itself, regardless of TMS work. You want to have a better inner relationship with yourself, treat yourself better. This is compassionate.

Boston Redsox and Simplicity like this.
  8. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Thank you, Andy. Yes, I think I'm done digging in the past, what I need to learn is to make the connections in the Now and how to just Be - that is what I'm having a hard time with and it all has to do with acceptance... mainly self-acceptance and that is something that has to come from deep inside. I'm glad that I've taken this next step and I'm very thankful for your guidance. I feel that I am exactly where I need to be and I have developed a deeper trust in this process - everything is falling into place it seems. Working on yourself is no easy task, that's for sure, but it's rewarding nevertheless.

Hen likes this.