1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

1. My new video peer blog

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Forest, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Check it out! (Please give it a moment for the video to appear. YouTube's computers aren't quite as snappy as ours.)

brianleejackson and yb44 like this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, you are a video star! Love it.

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

LOL. My girlfriend said that my face looked all washed out. I'm afraid she's right. :)

Anyway, one thing I forgot to ask was, what sort of subjects would people like to see future videos on? Some ideas I've had are:
    1. I could tell my success story. HilaryN did a video of her success story and it's had over a thousand views so far on YouTube!
    2. I could maybe even have a special guest like a TMS Therapist join me and then just chat.
    3. I could talk about an interesting relapse I recently had and how I got over it.
    Which of those do you think would be best?

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I don't know, Forest, I think your complexion looks fine considering I've never met you in person, but the webcam does strange things as you move in and out from it!

Seriously, though - based on forum traffic, I think people are really interested in relapses.

Sometimes videos take a long time to load - you might want to preface each one with a warning that it might take more than just a few seconds. I was scratching my head for about ten seconds, reading down the page, when I suddenly noticed it finally came up. I don't think there's any significant reason behind this - local network speed, time of day, web traffic, gremlins, whatever...

Looks nice outside your windows. Still not getting above 48 here in the PNW. Sheesh.

5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's been glorious here today. Washed down the clothesline and hung the laundry outside for the first time this season.

Forest, all of your suggestions are good. I had a look at Hilary's video. Am seeing her this weekend at the London support group.

I think success stories are always a winner, whether one has had first time success or has relapsed and managed to overcome the pain or anxiety once again. Go for it.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, to clarify, my experience is that sometimes there is just a big white space for quite a few seconds. The first time I came to this page, I saw just your words "Check It Out" and a lot of white space.

Admittedly, my office is on the slowest, cheapest, and perhaps oldest, DSL connection that it is possible to have.

7. Forest

Excellent! I'll do the next video on Tuesday, then. It sounds like the relapse story might be better received, but I think it makes more sense to give some background by doing the main recovery story first. That should set up the relapse story pretty well.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, yb and Jan. Maybe you folks can be my video production consultants. :) FGF has already kindly helped out with lighting design and even, get this, styling! (she fixed my normally messy hair :)).

Gotcha. I fixed the the little note and blamed it on YouTube :D.

(As one of our chief techies, I wanted to know if our server might have anything to do with the delay in the videos appearing. The way it works when YouTube videos are embedded in a forum is that the browser just reserves a 500 pixel by 300 pixel space and loads the following page in it: http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXaKEqynVFk?wmode=opaque . What this means is that once the words "Check It Out" appear, your browser has already begun trying to download the video from YouTube. At this point, our computer is out of the equation, and the delay comes from interactions between your computer and YouTube's comptuers. Hence, I felt comfortable blaming it on YouTube. ... Though, given who owns them, it might have more to do with your DSL ;))​

Yeah, it was an absolutely beautiful day when I filmed and, frankly, was another one today. I walked to work without a jacket and I practically have to do a doubletake: "Is this March? Really????"

In two weeks, it'll probably be dreary again here in NE, but for the minute, we're absolutely loving it here in the Northeast. The students are all hanging out outside and everyone is in a great mood.

8. Forest

Excellent! Please send her my best.

HilaryN was one of the very first members of the TMS Wiki. She helped with just about everything and was particularly helpful with handling relationships practitioners who tried to use the wiki for advertising. That doesn't happen anymore, I think, because, with her help, we set very clear rules that this community is for us peers, and while we are very happy to have practitioners participate in our community, this is our space and they need to respect that by not advertising. (For the record, I should say that 95% of practitioners have been terrific. It was just a couple whom we had to lay down the law with.)

If anyone wants to check out her video, I'll embed it below. I'm really proud of her that it has been viewed 1000 times. I'm sure that it has helped an awful lot of people get over their PPD.

9. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I watched both videos - (Forest you are just as excited on video as you are in writing!)

The thing I noticed that is cool about video is that you see the person and truly hear the enthusiasm in their voices. Facial expressions etc. can be really really inspiring. It's one thing to read someones experience, but quite another to have them there in front of you, telling you their story. I love it!

I have a really hot new video camera that my husband gave me for Christmas. Maybe by the time I figure out how to use it, I'll be well enough to tell my story. I love talking with my friends about TMS/PPD and they see that I have real hope for the first time that this is really what my issue is with my back pain. I went head long into each "treatment" before I began. I would tell my friends that this chiropractor or that physical therapist was really going to be THE ANSWER for me. But - nothing worked as we know. And I'd go through a slight depression over the fact I was still in pain.

Anyway - to hear people - perhaps in any place they are in their process/journey, is a really great idea. Maybe "Beach Girl on the Beach" will have to make a video. But I really need to learn how to work this camera. The instructions are very long and drawn out. But fortunately, there are videos on YouTube on how to work the camera. I'd love to do a video blog on the beach some day. That would be a lot of fun.

And the videos played right away for me without any hesitation at all!

BG

10. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Forest, this was great and thanks for the shout out :)

Would it be a good idea at the end to show a link to the wiki in case someone finds this on YouTube and wants to participate more?

11. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

1. I could tell my success story. HilaryN did a video of her success story and it's had over a thousand views so far on YouTube!
    2. I could maybe even have a special guest like a TMS Therapist join me and then just chat.
    3. I could talk about an interesting relapse I recently had and how I got over it.
    I think those are all fantastic ideas to talk about Forest. I watched HilaryN's video a while ago and it really gave me encouragement to keep going. I would really like to hear your success story in video if you wouldn't mind doing that. I think the other 2 ideas are great as well I would be very interested in hearing about your relapse and how you got over it.
    Really fantastic that this forum exists and that you guys dedicate your time to making it happen. It is one of the only sources of hope I have right now because as most of you know a lot of this journey to overcome pain is done on your own so its really helpful to have people with encouraging words and feedback on a forum like this to help you out along the way. Thank you

Beach-Girl likes this.
  12. Forest

I'd really love to watch that, BG and hope you give it a try! I'd be happy to show you how to upload everything (though that part is really easy).

That's a great idea. I'll start doing that with the next video.

Coming up tomorrow! The relapse video is next after that. :)

Thank you so much for saying that. We're really glad to have you here. It's people like you who make it all worthwhile. We know what it's like to have bad TMS, so we want to do anything we can to help get you out of it.