1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Call-In, Tues. April 29

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

On Tuesday April 29th, the call-in discussion group will be discussing “Eric's Journey - 3” and “Walt's Journey - 3 (The Good Old Days)” in God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain by forum members @Eric "Herbie" Watson and @Walt Oleksy . (Please note that unlike the previous chapters we've discussed, these two chapters are not available for free. The book is available on Amazon.com as both a paperback book and as a Kindle ebook.)

The recorded discussion will start at 9:00pm Eastern Time. Phone lines will open about half an hour early for folks to talk beforehand, off the recording.

Connection details are as follows (for more detailed instructions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/connect ):

• If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 201-479-4595 and when prompted enter the pin code 18311499 followed by the pound symbol.
    • If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to http://fuze.me/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.
    For more information about the discussion group, and to listen to all past recorded discussions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group.

As in his previous sections, Herbie goes back and forth between telling his story - now six years after the pickup football game marking the start of his back pain - and sharing advice and insight around TMS healing. His narrative in this section mainly focuses on his experiences as a roofer and a wrestler. Interspersed are paragraphs that talk about resuming physical activity and the importance of facing emotions. Herbie also devotes a section of his chapter to meditation, in which he provides a detailed background of the practice and shares his own techniques for meditation. He writes about mindfulness meditation as well.

The last couple pages of Herbie's chapter are packed with insight. He comments on the functionality of TMS (it's a defense mechanism), how important it is to be honest with yourself, and why affirmations should include an element of calmness, and then he tackles the huge topic of acceptance. He closes his chapter by saying, "We need to learn what we need to accept, and do it not with anger but with peace. And maybe a good hearty laugh."

Walt's chapter “The Good Old Days” is one of a few chapters that focuses on journaling. This focus, however, isn't advice or tips (though Walt does spend the beginning of the chapter talking about how journaling helps in TMS healing). Rather, Walt expands on some of his own journal entries that he identified as being most important to his recovery. He shares detailed memories from his childhood, which he identifies as involving financial worry and insecurity, and discusses the impact of these experiences. Walt also provides excerpts from discussion threads on this forum, which serve as commentary on the impact his boyhood had on his TMS. He also describes the beginning of his career as a paid writer.

These two chapters are bound to create a great discussion. I hope to see many of you there!

Forest

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I opened up about those things and others during the call-in, but a good summary in advance, Forest.

I hope everyone listens to the audio of the call-in. Herbie had some good TMS healing techniques to share.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I go into personal stuff in my journaling in the book because I hope it encourages others
    to share their repressed emotions. My examples may help others remember similar experiences
    that, when repressed as I did mine, can cause TMS pain.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

My GF and I are celebrating our fifth anniversary tonight, so we might be a bit late, but I'll definitely be there eventually!

Looking forward to it...

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Becca

Becca Well known member

Wonderful discussion guys! Here's the recording of it. A heads up: due to some technical difficulties the recording cuts off early. However, the recording (which, by the way, is still at a substantial length at 1 hour 29 minutes) does include the full discussion of the two chapters in Walt and Herbie's book.

As always you can listen to the recording using the audio player below. You can also download the recorded discussion by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the audio player) and choosing to save it to your computer. Happy listening!

Click here to download the mp3 audio

Next week (Tuesday May 6): “Eric's Journey - 4” and “Walt's Journey - 4” in God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain .

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.