1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Call-In Tues April 22 (with recording from 4/15 discussion)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Becca, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Becca

Becca Well known member

This upcoming Tuesday (April 22), the call-in discussion group will be discussing the second chapters ( “Eric's Journey - 2” and “Walt's Journey - 2”) in God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain by forum members @Eric "Herbie" Watson and @Walt Oleksy . As usual, the discussion will start at 9:00m Eastern Tim. Phone lines will open about half an hour early for folks to talk beforehand.

Herbie continues his story from his previous chapter, interspersing his narrative with information and advice on topics such as affirmations, reconditioning, and reducing anxiety. In his section, Walt discusses how journaling can help us uncover repressed emotions, and also shares his thoughts on the healing power of deep breathing. Other concepts and topics Walt and Herbie write about in these two chapters include awareness, acceptance, reframing, the "ignore" method, and overcoming sleep problems.

You can still read these two chapters for free, either as a webpage or as a formatted PDF. However, these are the last two chapters that will be available for free (as far as I know, anyhow) so plan accordingly for future discussions!

Connection details are as follows (for more detailed instructions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/connect ):
    • If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 201-479-4595 and when prompted enter the pin code 18311499 followed by the pound symbol.
    • If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to http://fuze.me/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.
    For more information about the discussion group, and to listen to all past recorded discussions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Becca. I thought last Tuesday's call in went real well
    and Herbie explained some of his healing techniques.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Becca

Becca Well known member

Agreed, Walt! For those of you who missed it, here's the recording of the April 15th discussion. As always you can listen to the audio using the player below, or you can download the mp3 file yourself by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the audio player) and choosing to save it to your computer. Enjoy!

THIS IS A RECORDING OF LAST WEEK'S DISCUSSION (APRIL 15, 2014)

Click here to download the mp3 audio

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I'm really looking forward to this tonight! @Walt Oleksy and @Eric "Herbie" Watson if you have time, I'd love to read some of your thoughts on these two chapters before the call tonight.

Last week both Walt and Herbie called in. It was a great chance to hear them talk about their stories spontaneously in their own words. There's something very powerful about actually hearing someone's voice while they share their story. I also love it when people call in with questions of their own. If anyone wants to call in to share their story and get feedback this is a great way to do it. We aren't doctors, of course, so we can't diagnose or provide medical advice. However I think peer support can be a very valuable thing.

Hope to see you all there!

Forest

5. Becca

Becca Well known member

Ooh, yes, please do! It'll be like a sneak preview! :happy:

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Ok, I'll lay out some of my thoughts on the chapter 2 that I'm in -- give me a few hours and I'll get those ideas laid out here.
    That's awesome, Yes it is so fun to tell others how all of this came about. :)

I thought the swish we did with BruceMC was cool last week. And we talked about many important aspects of the TMS model too.

Bless You

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll be on the call-in tonight. I'll also post some ideas from my chapter Two, putting them here.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

My chapter two is called "It Woiks!" It's a summary of how TMS healed me of my severe back pain.

Two of the most helpful TMS techniques for me were journaling and deep breathing.
    I also gave suggestions on techniques for overcoming sleep problems.

For journaling, I spent about 20 minutes a day thinking about past and present stresses, traumas,
    then wrote them down and dated the page. I found that present anxieties often led me back to
    past experiences in a "trigger" effect. The present triggered the past, like divorce. My parents
    divorced when I was seven years old and I must have repressed a lot of anger and separation anxiety.
    Those repressed emotions surfaced when very close friends divorced. I had felt like part of their family,
    but it all changed when they divorced. I see the husband, still a great friend of mine, but not the wife,
    and she had been like a sister to me. I never see their three kids, now all grown and living in other states.

I've helped save a few marriages of friends, but not this one. They were both set on divorce.

Unsent letters is another kind of journalising. Just write to someone causing you problems,
    tell them off, then do not mail the letter.

For sleep suggestions, I practice deep breathing, counting fro 100 to 1 backwards,
    and visualizing me being on a sunny beach with someone I love.

We may have time to discuss this tonight, but a lot of the time could be spent with
    Herbie explaining some of his healing techniques, which are really great and important.

Looking forward to you all joining us tonight.

I

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I speak of the importance of affirmations and give some to say over till they sink in like I can do all things and I'm blessed with all I do. I talk about the re-conditioning and how it works, and why it takes time. I tell how learning to look for my repressions was a most valuable tool that I learned from Dr. Sarnos work, It was the missing piece to the puzzle. I talk about the " Ignore Method " and Focusing. The ignore method is something to be learned, like how are you supposed to ignore pain? Well there are ways for sure. Focusing, the style I do is almost like mindfulness with a twist so that will be supercool to go over and thats just the first four pages.

Hope to hear from you all tonight. :)

Bless You

Forest and Becca like this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Herbie, those are great TMS healing techniques.
    I think many people will welcome your thoughts on how to ignore pain.
    We all know that a great example of healing by being active and ignoring the pain is Steve Ozanich.

11. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I wish I could join you tonight but we are starting our puppy training class for Daisy. :( Wah! I might be able to sneak in a little of the chit chat before it starts.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Daisy is more important. I bet she does well tonight in puppy training.

13. North Star

I'll hopefully get on for a few minutes before it starts, I could sure use a shot in the arm tonight! I'm especially bummed that I'll miss YOU, Walt!

But yeah, I think Daisy will do well. She's coming along very nicely in house training, comes when I call her (if she doesn't have an interesting piece of grass to sniff, that is) and sits on command.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll be in the call-in about 10 or 15 minutes early so we can say hi to each other.

15. North Star

Walt, Daisy did fabulously. And we all agreed that she was the cutest dog there. Okay, that last sentence is a lie but I betcha that's what everyone was thinking…. heh heh heh

Forest likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm glad Daisy did so well in puppy school. I bet she loved meeting new playmates.

The call-in last night was good and I talked more than usual.
    You'll enjoy the recording when its posted, probably tomorrow.

17. Becca

Becca Well known member

Here's the recording from Tuesday (the 22nd). Sorry it took longer to post - software issues...:meh: Anyhow, as usual, you can hear all these folk talk either using the audio player below. You can also download the recording as an mp3 file by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the audio player) and choosing to save said link to your computer.

Click here to download the mp3 audio

Next week: Eric's Journey - 3 & Walt's Journey - 3. Note that these chapters (and those that follow) are NOT included in the free PDF/wiki page, so...buy the book, guys! :happy: For more info visit the announcement thread for the April 29th discussion.